This template is designed to allow employee’s to enter vacation requests, and have managers track and approve them.
- Create vacation request records
- Approvers get notified of new pending requests
- Managers can approve, reject or return the request to the requester
- The requester will get notified of the approver’s decision
- View and report on vacation requests
Vacation Requests App Images
Setting Up the Vacation Requests App
Please following these steps to get the Vacation Requests app ready for use in your organisation:
- You will need to assign the appropriate people to the security roles within the application. Go to Application Settings > Edit App in the left side navigation, and once the app design screen appears, select Security > Roles and Users in the left side design navigation. Then select each of the applications roles (discussed below in App Design Details), and use the right side panel, that appears when you select a role, to set who should be in the role.
Using the Vacation Requests App
When you want to request vacation time, create a Vacation Request record and click the Submit button. The reviewer can then Approve, Reject or Return to Requester. Approved requests got h the Approved workflow stage, and rejected ones go to the Rejected workflow stage. Requests that are returned go to the Resubmit stage where the original requester can update and then resubmit it.
App Design Details
- Vacation Request records can be created by the Initiator, Editor and App Admin roles. Security for the record is detailed in the workflow section below.
- Security Roles, and their general purpose, are:
- Initiator – Can create new vacation requests.
- Reader – Can read, but not edit, vacation request records.
- Read Approved Requests – Can read, but not edit, only approved vacation request records.
- Editor – Can create and edit, but not delete, vacation request records, but only read approved or rejected requests.
- Approver – This role can approve or reject vacation request.
- App Admin – Can edit delete all vacation request record.
- Workflow stages are:
- Draft – Only the record owner can see the record, and they can edit and delete the record.
- Review – The Approvers and App Admin roles can add approval comments and approve/reject, and the Editors role can edit the whole record but not approve/reject. The Readers role can see but not edit records.
- Resubmit – The record owner can submit and edit everything except the approval comments, the App Admin role can submit and edit everything, and the Editors role can edit the whole record. The Delete role can edit and delete records.
- Approved – These records are read-only for all roles except App Admin, who can edit and delete them. The Read Approved Requests can see records at this stage but no others.
- Rejected – These records are read-only for all roles except App Admin, who can edit, delete and resubmit the record. The record owner can resubmit the record, at which time they will be able to edit it again.
- Workflow notifications are:
- Draft Stage – On Submit the name in the Approving Manager field is notified that there is a vacation request waiting review. The email template is called Approval Request.
- Review Stage – On Approve or Reject the requester is notified of the chosen action. The email template is called Vacation Request Approve / Reject.
- Review Stage – On Return to Requester the requester is notified that their vacation request needs of updated if it is to be approved. The email template is called Vacation Request Return to Requester.
Updating the Vacation Requests App
Don’t forget, as well as being a fully functional app that’s ready to go, the Vacation Requests template app can also be a useful starting point for you to build from. If you want extra information tracked for your vacation requests or want additional views to sort them in different ways, you can make those updates yourself.