This template is designed for entering, approval and tracking of expense claims.
- Create a list of predefined Departments
- Create records for expense reports, each with unlimited individual expense line-items
- Managers review and approve, reject or return the expense report back to the requester
- The approver gets notified when there is an expense report to review
- The requester gets notified of the approver’s decision
- View and report on expense reports
Expense Reports App Images
Setting Up the Expense Reports App
Please following these steps to get the Expense Reports app ready for use in your organisation:
- The Expense Report form asks for the department associated with the user and their expense report. To supply this list of department names, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Departments in the left side navigation, and create a Department record for each department name you want to use: i.e. Sales, IT, or Finance.
- You will need to assign the appropriate people to the security roles within the application. Go to Lookup Application Setting > Edit App in the left side navigation, and once the app design screen appears, select Security > Roles and Users in the left side design navigation. Then select each of the applications roles (discussed below in App Design Details), and use the right side panel, that appears when you select a role, to set who should be in the role.
Using the Expense Reports App
A user who has had expenses and would like to be reimbursed, would create an Expense Report record and include the details of each of their expense items. Once the creator submits the expense report their manager is notified by email that they need to review it. The manager can Approve or Reject the expense report, or return it to the creator with comments. The creator will be notified of their decision via email.
App Design Details
- Department lookup records can only be created and edited by the App Admin role, but are visible to all.
- Expense Report records are the main records in the application, and can be created by members of every role. Security for the record is detailed in the workflow section below.
- Security Roles, and their general purpose, are:
- Readers – Can create and read, but not edit, Expense Report records.
- Editors – Can create and edit, but not delete, Expense Report records.
- App Admin – Can edit delete all records, including Department records.
- Workflow stages are:
- Draft – The App Admin role and the record owner can edit and delete the record, the Editors role can edit the record, and the Readers role can see but not edit the record.
- Review – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, Editors roles can edit the record, and the Readers role can see but not edit the record. The named Manager (field value) and App Admin role can Approve and Reject Expense Report records.
- Approved – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Editors role can edit the record, and the Readers role can see but not edit the record.
- Rejected – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Editors role can edit the record, and the Readers role can see but not edit the record.
- Workflow notifications are:
- Draft Stage – On Submit the named Manager (field value) is notified that there is an Expense Report awaiting review. The email template is called Draft Submission.
- Review Stage – On Approve or Reject the requester is notified of the approver’s decision. The email template is called Accept or Reject.