The Workspace Reservations app was developed to help manage, approve and track requests to assign a user to a shared workspace for a working period. If your organization uses hot-desking, having shared workspace that people in the office can use rather than permanently assigned personal spaces, then this template would be a great starting point for managing that process.
The app allows you to organize and view workspace requests by workspace, date and status. This way you can easily check if a workspace is free when you need, or what workspaces are free on the date/time your looking at. The app uses a simple one stage approval process.
- Create workspaces of any given type
- Track when each workspace is reserved at given dates
- View and reject reservation requests for given workspaces
This app has one main app form called Workspace Reservation. It is used to store information about a specific reservation of a workspace. Workspace Reservation records can be created by all the roles. Security for a Workspace Reservation is detailed in the workflow section below.
This app also has two additional forms that are used to manage lists of lookup values used on the Workspace Reservation form. Each value in the Workspace Type or Workspace lookup list fields is a record created with that form (These records can only be created and edited by the App Admin role):
- Workspace Type – Used to manage a list of types of workspaces, such as: Cubicle, Shared Desk, Work Room, etc.
- Workspace – A specific workspace a person can reserve to do work, such as: Work Room 103, Cubicle 211, etc.
Security Roles, and their general purpose, are:
- Reader – Can read, but not edit records.
- Editor – Can create and edit, but not delete records.
- App Admin – Can create, edit and delete all records.
The workflow stages for Workspace Reservation records are:
- Draft – The record owner can edit and delete the record.
- In Review – The Reader role can read but not edit the record, the Editor role can edit the record, and the App Admin role can edit and delete the record.
- Approved – The Reader role can read but not edit the record, the Editors roles can edit, and the App Admin role can edit and delete the record.
- Rejected – The Record Owner and Reader role can view, the Editors can edit the record, and the App Admin can edit and delete the record.
- Cancelled – All roles cannot view, except App Admin which can edit and delete the record.
Setting Up the Workspace Reservation App
Please following these steps to get the Workspace Reservation app ready for use in your organization:
- The Workspace Request form asks for the Workspace Type (size) you are looking for. To supply this list of workspace types, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Workspace Types in the left side navigation, and create a Workspace Type record for each type of workspace you have: i.e. Cubicle, Shared Desk, Work Room, etc. To do this, simply click the + New button to create a new blank record, and then you can fill it in and save it.
- The Workspace Request form asks for the Workspace you want to use. To supply this list of workspaces, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Workspaces in the left side navigation, and create a Workspace record for each workspace you have: i.e. Work Room 103, Cubicle 211, etc. To do this, simply click the + New button to create a new blank record, and then you can fill it in and save it. You will need to create the Workspace Type records first, as Workspace records need to be assigned a Workspace Type value.
- You will need to assign the appropriate people to the security roles within the application. Go to Lookup Application Setting > Edit App in the left side navigation, and once the app design screen appears, select Security > Roles and Users in the left side design navigation. Then select each of the applications roles (discussed in the App Details section), and use the right side panel, that appears when you select a role, to set who should be in the role. For more information on how to do this, see our Creating New Roles support documentation.
Using the Workspace Reservation App
The general process for using this template is as follows:
- Start by creating a new reservation by selecting ‘New Reservation‘ on the left side navigator.
- Enter the reservation details, and then click the ‘Submit‘ button on the header.
- After you create your reservation, you can begin the review process. Immediately after creating an event, the app is set up to redirect you to viewing the record. You can also find the record in the ‘Workspace Reservations‘ view.
- Reservation records can have one of five statuses, as shown in the list below. If a reservation is at the Cancelled status, it will be hidden from all views for all users, except for the App Admins, Reserved By and Record Owner. The Calendar view only shows reservations that are at the In Review or Approved statuses. The five statuses are:
- In Review
Updating the Workspace Reservation App
Just like the rest of our templates, this app is a great starting point for creating your own custom management apps. If you have an idea for a change you’d like to make, take a look at our support pages for guidance on how to make those changes, and give it a shot. And of course, we’re always available to help bring your vision to life – just send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help!