This template is designed to help manage and track IT service requests through to resolution.
- You can record important inform about your service requests and manage them through to resolution.
- In order to organize and report on your service requests, they are categorized in the following ways:
- Service Rep – A list of service reps that can handle requests.
- Department – A list departments within your organisation, such as IT, Sales and Finance, etc.
- Service requests are assigned to a service rep, who then resoles the issue.
- View and report on service requests as they process through to resolution.
IT Service Desk Template Images
Setting Up the IT Service Desk App
Please following these steps to get the IT Service Desk app ready for use in your organisation:
- The Service Request form asks for the assigned service rep. To supply this list of service rep names (along with their managers to escalate old tickets to), you need to go to Lookup Lists > Service Reps in the left side navigation, and create a Department record for each department name you want to use: i.e. Sales, IT, or Finance.
- The Service Request form asks for the department of the requester. To supply this list of department names, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Departments in the left side navigation, and create a Department record for each department name you want to use: i.e. Sales, IT, or Finance.
- You will need to assign the appropriate people to the security roles within the application. Go to Lookup Application Setting > Edit App in the left side navigation, and once the app design screen appears, select Security > Roles and Users in the left side design navigation. Then select each of the applications roles (discussed below in App Design Details), and use the right side panel, that appears when you select a role, to set who should be in the role.
Using the IT Service Desk App
When a user has an IT issue, they create a Service Request record and fill in the details. Once all the information is entered, they click on the Submit button at the top of the form. The service request will then go through a three or four stage process:
- Assign Rep – At this stage either the help desk manager could review the incoming requests and assign a service rep according to workload or skill set, or the reps could self assign requests.
- Rep Assigned – The assigned service rep will now work on the tickets until it is resolved. If the rep needs assistance or if the requester thinks the issue is taking too long to resolve, they can escalate the ticket to the service reps designed escalation user.
- Escalated – The service rep and their assigned escalation user will work the ticket to a successful resolution.
- Resolved – The issue has been resolved and the requester is, hopefully, happy.
App Design Details
- Department and Service Rep lookup records can only be created and edited by the App Admin role, but are visible to all.
- Service Request records are the main records in the application, and can be created by members of the App Admin, service Rep and User roles. Security for the record is detailed in the workflow section below.
- Security Roles, and their general purpose, are:
- User – Can read their own record once it is submitted, but not see other peoples requests.
- Service Rep – Can create and edit, but not delete, records.
- App Admin – Can edit and delete all records.
- Workflow stages are:
- Posted – The App Admin role and the record owner can edit and delete the record.
- Assign Rep – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Service Rep role can edit the record, and the Record Owner role can see but not edit the record. The Service Rep and App Admin roles can mark the record as Rep Assigned.
- Rep Assigned – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Service Rep role can edit the record, and the Record Owner role can see but not edit the record. The Record Owner, Service Rep and App Admin roles can all mark the record as Resolved or Escalated.
- Escalated – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Service Rep role can edit the record, and the Record Owner role can see but not edit the record. The Record Owner, Service Rep and App Admin roles can all mark the record as Resolved.
- Resolved – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Service Rep role can edit the record, and the Record Owner role can see but not edit the record.
- Workflow notifications are:
- Rep Assigned and Escalated Stages – On clicking Resolved the requester (Record Owner) is notified. The email template is called ‘Resolved Notification’.
- Rep Assigned – On clicking Escalate the assigned escalation user and the requester (Record Owner) are notified. The email template is called ‘Escalation Notification’.
Updating the IT Service Desk App
Don’t forget, as well as being a fully functional app that’s ready to go, the IT Service Desk template app can also be a useful starting point for you to build from. If you want extra information tracked for your service requests or want additional views to sort them in different ways, you can make those updates yourself.