The Bug Tracker app helps you report and manage bugs within a software application. You can track details of a bug and its resolution.
- Create bug report records
- Track progress to resolution
- View and report on bug report progress
Bug Tracker Template Images
Setting Up the Bug Tracker App
Please follow these steps to get the Bug Tracker app ready for use in your organization:
- Assign the appropriate people to the security roles within the application. Go to Lookup Application Setting > Edit App in the left side navigation, and once the app design screen appears, select Security > Roles and Users in the left side design navigation. Then select each of the applications roles (discussed below in App Design Details), and use the right side panel, that appears when you select a role, to set who should be in the role.
Using the Bug Tracker App
After discovering a new bug, enter its information into a Bug record. Then, click on the Post Bug Report button at the top of the form. A software tech will then review the bug posting and either mark it as Accepted or contact the poster to get more details. After detailed investigation you may then mark the bug as Resolved or Not Reproducible.
App Design Details
- Bug Report records can be created by the Editors & App Admin roles. Security for a Bug Report is detailed in the workflow section below.
- Security Roles, and their general purpose, are:
- Reader – Can read, but not edit, Bug Report records.
- Editor – Can create, edit and delete Bug Report records.
- Reviewer – Can read, but not edit, Bug Report records, plus review and Accept submitted Bug Report records.
- Development – Can read, but not edit, Bug Report records, plus review and mark as resolved accepted Bug Report records.
- All roles can create new Bug Report records.
- Workflow stages are:
- Draft – The Editors and App Admin roles, and the record owner can edit and delete the record.
- Submitted – The Readers role can read but not edit the record, the Editors and Reviewers roles can edit the record, and the App Admin role can edit and delete the record.
- Accepted – The Readers and Reviewers roles can read but not edit the record, the Editors and App Admin roles can edit and delete the record.
- Resolved – All roles have only read access, except App Admin which can edit and delete the record.
- Not Reproducible – All roles have only read access, except App Admin which can edit and delete the record.
- Workflow notifications are:
- Draft Stage – On submit, if the bug priority is ‘Critical’ or ‘High’ the Reviewer role is notified that there is a bug waiting review. The email template is called ‘Bug Submission Notification’.
- Submitted Stage – On Accept Bug, if the bug priority is ‘Critical’ or ‘High’ the Development role is notified that there is a bug needing resolution. The email template is called ‘Developer Notification’.
- Submitted and Accepted Stages – if the bug is resolved or is not reproducible, the requester is notified. The email template is called ‘Resolved/Not Reproducible Notification’.
Updating the Bug Tracker App
Don’t forget, as well as being a fully functional app that’s ready to go, the Bug Tracker template app can also be a useful starting point for you to build from. If you want extra information tracked for your bugs, want additional views to sort the bugs in different ways, or want to track bugs for multiple applications, you can make those updates yourself. Our support site is a great place to get started learning how to make the changes you want.