This template is to help manage employee or contractor work hours against clients and projects. It can help with client billing in consultancies, and project effort or budget tracking within organisations.
- You can record daily timesheets for any project work.
- In order to organize and report on your timesheets, they are categorized in the following ways:
- Client – A list of clients that projects could be carried out for. If using within an organisation, the client records could be modified to be departments or billing centers.
- Project – A list of specific projects that work should be tracked for.
- Consultant – Who carried out the work.
View and report on timesheets by consultant, project, client and more. (The Reporting view shows more details on every timesheet record, regardless of workflow stage, etc. We expect the user will filter this view to show only the records they are interested in.)
Time Tracker Template Images
Setting Up the Time Tracker App
Please following these steps to get the Timesheet app ready for use in your organisation:
- The Daily Timesheet form asks for the client the work was for. To supply this list of clients, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Client List in the left side navigation, and then click New above the view to create a Client record for each client you want to track project work for.
- The Daily Timesheet form asks for the project the work was part of. To supply this list of projects, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Project by Client (or Projects by Code) in the left side navigation, and then click New above the view to create a Project record for each project you want to track work for.
- You will need to assign the appropriate people to the security roles within the application. Go to Lookup Application Setting > Edit App in the left side navigation, and once the app design screen appears, select Security > Roles and Users in the left side design navigation. Then select each of the applications roles (discussed below in App Design Details), and use the right side panel, that appears when you select a role, to set who should be in the role.
Using the Time Tracker App
When you have a block of daily work to record, create a Daily Timesheet record for each period of work on a different project. Select the client first and then the project, because projects are filtered by the selected client. Then enter the hours worked and a description of the work completed. When done, click the Submit button.
App Design Details
- Client and Project records can only be created and edited by the App Admin role, but are visible to all.
- Timesheet records are the main records in the application, and can be created by members of any role. Security for the record is detailed in the workflow section below.
- Security Roles, and their general purpose, are:
- Readers – Can read, but not edit, Client and Project records. Can not see other peoples Timesheet records.
- Editors – Can create and edit, but not delete, Timesheet records. Can read, but not edit, Client and Project records.
- App Admin – Can create, edit and delete all records.
- Record Owner – The person who created a Timesheet can edit that record.
- Timesheet workflow stages are:
- Draft – The App Admin role and the record owner can edit and delete the record, and the Readers and Editors roles can’t see the record.
- Review – The App Admin role can edit, delete and approve records, the Approver roles edit and approve records, the Editor role can edit records, the record owner can see the record, and the Readers role can’t see the record.
- Billable – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Editors roles can edit the record, and the record owner and the Readers role can see the record.
- Billed – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Editors roles can edit the record, and the record owner and the Readers role can see the record.
- Resolve Issues – The App Admin role and the record owner can edit and delete the record, the Editor role can edit the record, and the Readers role can’t see the record.
- Workflow notification emails are:
- Review Stage – On clicking ‘Send Back to Consultant’ the timesheet consultant will be notified of the issue with their timesheet. The email template is called ‘Send Back to Consultant’.
Updating the Time Tracker App
Don’t forget, as well as being a fully functional app that’s ready to go, the Time Tracker template app can also be a useful starting point for you to build from. If you want extra information tracked for your timesheets or want additional views to sort them in different ways, you can make those updates yourself.