This template is designer to help manage and track new product feature ideas, and their packaging into new product releases.
- Create records for each new proposed product feature
- In order to organize and report on the proposed features, they are categorized in the following ways:
- Feature Category – A list of categories for features, such as Hardware, Software, etc.
- Product Version – A list of planned product versions and expected shipping dates.
- Approvers get notified of new pending product features
- Features get reviewed and assigned to a release if they are approved
- The requester gets notified of the approver’s decision
- View and report on features and their release
Product Management Template Images
Setting Up the Product Feature Management App
Please follow these steps to get the Product Feature Management app ready for use in your organisation:
- The Product Feature form asks for the category the feature belongs to. To supply this list of asset categories, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Feature Categories in the left side navigation, and create an Feature Category record for each category you want to use: i.e. Hardware, Software, etc.
- The Product Feature form asks for the desired product version the feature should be included in. To supply this list of product versions, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Product Versions in the left side navigation, and create a Product Version record for each planned version.
- You will need to assign the appropriate people to the security roles within the application. Go to Lookup Application Setting > Edit App in the left side navigation, and once the app design screen appears, select Security > Roles and Users in the left side design navigation. Then select each of the applications roles (discussed below in App Design Details), and use the right side panel, that appears when you select a role, to set who should be in the role.
Using the Product Feature Management App
When you get an idea for a new product feature, enter its information into a Product Feature record. The feature reviewers will then Accept or Reject the feature suggestion. A rejected feature can be modified and resubmitted. An approved feature will indicate the product version the planners expect the feature to be included in.
App Design Details
- Product Version and Feature Category lookup records can only be created and edited by the App Admin role.
- Product Feature records are the main records in the application, and can be created by members of the Editor and App Admin roles. Security for the record is detailed in the workflow section below.
- Security Roles, and their general purpose, are:
- Readers – Can read, but not edit, Product Feature records.
- Editors – Can create and edit, but not delete, Product Feature records.
- Approver – This role can approve or reject Product Feature records.
- App Admin – Can create, edit and delete all records.
- Workflow stages are:
- Draft – The App Admin role and the record owner can edit and delete the record, the Editors role can edit the record, and the Readers role can see but not edit the record.
- Review – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Approver and Editors roles can edit the record, and the Readers role can see but not edit the record. The Approver and App Admin roles can Approve and Reject feature records and assign them to a release.
- Accepted – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Editors role can edit the record, and the Readers role can see but not edit the record.
- Rejected – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record, the Editors role can edit the record, and the Readers role can see but not edit the record.
- Workflow notifications are:
- Draft Stage – On Submit the Approvers role is notified that there is a vacation request waiting review. The email template is called Draft Submission.
- Review Stage – On Approve or Reject the requester is notified of the approver’s decision. The email template is called Accept or Reject.
Updating the Product Feature Management App
Don’t forget, as well as being a fully functional app that’s ready to go, the IT Asset Management template app can also be a useful starting point for you to build from. If you want extra information tracked for your assets, or want additional views to sort the assets in different ways, you can make those updates yourself.