This template is designed to help manage high-level information across a portfolio of projects, and to collect high level monthly status reports. It is intended for organisations running multiple projects simultaneously, so that interested parties can get an overview of all projects in the organisation and their progress.
- You can record important inform about your projects and the team that will manage them.
- In order to organize and report on your service requests, they are categorized in the following ways:
- Project Area – A list of the areas a project can be targeted at, such as Application, Communication, User Development, Procedures, etc.
- Department – A list departments within your organisation, such as IT, Sales and Finance, etc that a project can be undertaken within.
- Example: If you had a project to create or purchase a sales management app for the Sales department, it would have a Project Area of Application and a Department of Sales.
- View and report on projects.
- Add regular simple, monthly status reports. (It is expected that more detailed and more frequent status reports would be created and circulated within the project team and steering committee.)
Project Management App Images
Setting Up the Project Portfolio Management App
Please following these steps to get the Project Portfolio Management app ready for use in your organisation:
- The Project form asks for the assigned Project Area. To supply this list of project areas, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Project Areas in the left side navigation, and create a Project Area record for each project area value you want to use: i.e. Application, Communication, User Development, Procedures, etc.
- The Service Request form asks for the department or departments the project will affect. To supply this list of department names, you need to go to Lookup Lists > Departments in the left side navigation, and create a Department record for each department name you want to use: i.e. Sales, IT, Finance, etc.
- You will need to assign the appropriate people to the security roles within the application. Go to Lookup Application Setting > Edit App in the left side navigation, and once the app design screen appears, select Security > Roles and Users in the left side design navigation. Then select each of the applications roles (discussed below in App Design Details), and use the right side panel, that appears when you select a role, to set who should be in the role.
Using the Project Portfolio Management App
When a you need to manage a new project, create a Project record and fill in the details and save the record. Once the project has actually started, click on the Project Started button at the top of the form. Once the project has completed, click on the Project Completed button at the top of the form. During this time you could also click on the Project Cancelled button if the project was cancelled. A cancelled project can be resurrected. Create Monthly Status Reports to let the people not directly involved in the project, but who have project management or executive oversight, see the projects progress.
App Design Details
- Department and Project Area lookup records can only be created and edited by the App Admin role.
- Project records are the main records in the application, and can be created by members of the App Admin and Editor roles. Security for the record is detailed in the workflow section below.
- Security Roles, and their general purpose, are:
- Reader – Can read Project records.
- Editor – Can create and edit, but not delete, Project records.
- App Admin – Can create, edit and delete all records.
- Workflow stages are:
- Draft – The App Admin role and the record owner can edit and delete the record. The Editor role can edit, but not delete the record, and the Reader role can only read the record.
- Active – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record. The Editor role can edit, but not delete the record, and the Reader role can only read the record.
- Completed – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record. The Editor role can edit, but not delete the record, and the Reader role can only read the record.
- Cancelled – The App Admin role can edit and delete the record. The Editor role can edit, but not delete the record, and the Reader role can only read the record.
- There are no Workflow notifications.
Updating the Project Portfolio Management App
Don’t forget, as well as being a fully functional app that’s ready to go, the Project Management template app can also be a useful starting point for you to build from. If you want extra information tracked for your projects or want additional views to sort them in different ways, you can make those updates yourself.